Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Sixth Men's Player Of The Year Award at Globe Soccer Awards In Dubai
The Dubai Globe Soccer awards came to a close last night with the presentation of awards for the best players, clubs, referees and more.
Scooping the night's top prizes were Cristiano Ronaldo and Lucy Bronze, who took home the Men's and Women's Player of the Year awards, respectively.
This is Ronaldo's sixth Men's Player of the Year award, a testament to his incredible season, post-move, to Italian club Juventus. Helping them to a Serie A win and Portugal to success in the UEFA Nations League, if Ronaldo's hints at retirement are true, he shows no sign of slowing down yet.
Awarded by: H.H. Sheikh Mansour bin Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, President of the Dubai International Marine Club in the presence of He Mattar Al Tayer, Vice-Chairman of the Dubai Sports Council
Lucy Bronze, meanwhile, was the first player to receieve a new award for Women's Player of the Year. The British right-back has been outstanding all season for Olympique Lyonnais and the England team, including winning the Champion's League, and has also picked up the UEFA Player of the Year Award, too.
Looking locally, there were awards too for the best Arab players. Abderrazak Hamdallah of Saudi Arabia's Al-Nassr FC won Best Arab Player of the Year. This should come as no surprise given he set the world record for the highest scoring season in football this year with 57 goals in all competitions.
Best Arab Club went to Saudi's Al Hilal SFC. Currently second in the Saudi Pro League they celebrated their award with a 7-0 win over Al Adalh yesterday.
Achraf Hakimi's season at Borussia Dortmund, on loan from Real Madrid, secured him the prize for Best Young Arab Player.
“The global success of the Dubai Globe Soccer Awards over the years is tangible proof of how the football industry has grown exponentially in every aspect in the Middle East. Through these awards, we aim to motivate and inspire athletes, both young and young at heart, men and women, as well as all those who work tirelessly behind the scenes, always giving the best of themselves for the continuous expansion of this wonderful sport that is football”, declared Tommaso Bendoni, CEO of Dubai Globe Soccer Awards.
See below for a full list of winners
1. Best Academy of the Year: AFC Ajax and S.L. Benfica
2. Best Agent of the Year: Jorge Mendes
3. Best Club of the Year: Liverpool FC
4. Best Coach of the Year: Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool FC)
5. Best Goalkeeper of the Year: Alisson Becker
6. Best Men’s Player of the Year: Cristiano Ronaldo
7. Best Partnership of the Year Award by SportBusiness: Manchester City F.C. and SAP
8. Best Referee of the Year: Stephanie Frappart
9. Best Revelation Player: Joao Felix (Atlético Madrid, Portugal’s national team)
10. Best Sporting Director: Andrea Berta (AtléticoMadrid)
11. Best Women's Player of the Year: Lucy Bronze
12. Best Young Arab Player of the Year: Achraf Hakimi
13. Kooora – Best Arab Club Award: Al Hilal SFC (Saudi Arabia)
14. Kooora – Best Arab Player Award: Abderazak Hamdallah (Al-Nassr FC, Saudi Arabia)
15. Player Career Award: Miralem Pjanic and Ryan Giggs