We first heard the news about a Bad Boys sequel when actor Martin Lawrence appeared on Conan in August 2014, and announced that a third iteration was in the works, due for a release in June of 2017. Then, the newly-titled Bad Boys For Life was re-scheduled for release in January 2018, reportedly due to Will Smith's Suicide Squad commitments.
“We couldn’t all get in a room, go through this thing and really ring it out,” Carnahan told Gizmodo in 2016. “I’m a big believer in ‘Do the work at the script level until you’ve got something you know works.’ That everyone is happy with, the stars are happy with, the director is happy with, the studio is happy with.”
“There’s only one Will Smith and one Martin Lawrence,” said Carnahan. “You can’t replace those guys and I wouldn’t want to be involved if it wasn’t Will and Martin. They are that franchise."
What ensued was radio silence for another two years, until reports surfaced late last year that Sony was close to green lighting a third instalment of the action-packed buddy-cop series, and the film's two stars had finally confirmed that Bad Boys 3 was happening.
According to the report,“Reuniting Will Smith and Martin Lawrence as two of Miami PD’s most infamous officers has taken years to pull off, but a new draft of a script appears to have met with the producers’ approval, and it's likely that production on Bad Boys 3 will begin in early 2019 with view to a release on Martin Luther King Day in 2020.”
While the series' stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence both return, it's likely that the studio will bring in a fresh group to helm the series rather than the Michael Bay-led production team that oversaw the first two films.
DJ/producer DJ Khaled has revealed the he has also joined the cast of Bad Boys for Life, slated to star alongside the original Bad Boys, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, as well as Vanessa Hudgens, Paola Nuñez, Alexander Ludwig, Charles Melton, and Jacob Scipio.
"May I remind you, it's only Jan. 15th, 2019. Y'all have no idea what's coming," he wrote in his Twitter announcement. "I'm coming for the Oscars!! God is the greatest!"
NEW MOVIE ALERT!
Blessed to announce that I will be joining #WillSmith and #Martinlawrence in the cast of @badboys #BadBoysForLife movie
May I remind you, it’s only Jan 15th, 2019. Y’all have no idea what’s coming. I’m coming for the Oscars!! God Is The Greatest!!! pic.twitter.com/vf0GflB1uG— DJ KHALED (@djkhaled) 15 January 2019
As for what we should expect from the film, it's music to our ears.
“Unless you’re Toy Story 3, usually third ones aren’t the strongest, and I think this one will be the strongest of the trilogy thus far,” Carnahan said.
“There’s a lot of funny s*** in this movie,” he added. “And there’s also a very mysterious, but tonally spot-on story that I think is kind of perfect for where we are in this day and age, where the guys are and reflectively, a very modern take on these guys. It’s kind of what becomes of Bad Boys when they’re not boys any more.”
“There are obviously little things you want to tip your hat too but I think the danger is becoming this slavish ‘We have to check all these boxes’,” Carnahan said.
“There aren’t these legions of people demanding your head because you didn’t bring back John Salley or you didn’t bring back Joe Pantoliano. I think you have to be careful with that. I’m always interested in ‘I know what has been done. What hasn’t been done?’ If not it’s just regurgitating old tropes and ideas and that’s not fun for anybody.”
“When you’re coming back after 15 years, you better come back with a home run ball,” Carnahan said. “And I really believe that’s what we have…. We’ve got a responsibility to make something that’s absolutely equivalent or exceeds what comes before. That’s a really important thing for all of us”
The film is set to hit cinemas Jan. 17, 2020.