Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Voted Third Most Popular Landmark In The World
It seems like rarely a day goes by without one list or another ranking our very lives. But it’s hard not to be impressed by the fact that Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque has just been voted the third most popular landmark in the world by TripAdvisor – an 11-year building holding its own against hundreds of years of history.
Visited by locals, international travellers and celebrities alike, the mosque – which took around 11 years to build and was designed by Syrian architect Yousef Abdelky – has so far seen 4,480,000 visitors from 249 nationalities in the first half of 2019, the Year of Tolerance in the UAE.
TripAdvisor holds the annual Travellers Choice Awards, and this year it recognised 759 landmarks across 68 countries in eight regions across the world. When it came to the Grand Mosque, the praise was high indeed. “Grand is an understatement,” writes TripAdvisor. “The architecture, the white marble and the beautifully maintained green gardens are stunning." It was also described as “by far the youngest world landmark’ to make the list, holding its own among more established icons.”
The top 10 was as follows:
- Angkor Wat. Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- St. Peters Basilica, Vatican City, Italy
- Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
- Taj Mahal, Agra, India
- Duomo di Milano, Milan, Italy
- Alcatraz Island, San Francisco, California
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, California
- Hungarian Parliament Building, Budapest, Hungary
Winners were chosen using an algorithm that determined quantity and quality of reviews on the site over the last 12 months.