This Is Happening... The 2019 Oscars Is Going Hostless

By GQ Staff
06 February 2019
Academy Awards, Oscars, Kevin Hart
Everybody panic! For the first time in three decades the Academy Awards will be held without a host

It’s all anyone has been talking about for months: just who will host the Oscars? Since the Kevin Hart debacle saw the comedian dropped from the role of emcee after failing to acknowledge and apologise for homophobic remarks made in the past, it became abundantly clear that there was no plan B.

Despite scrambling for a host for weeks, it seems a decision has finally reached, with ABC's new programming chief, Karey Burke, confirming that the 91st Academy Awards will have no host. It's ok, though, they're upselling on that, too.

Burke says that the controversy surrounding this year's Oscars telecast has actually been "good for the show."

"Ironically, I have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars have kept the Oscars in the conversation," Burke explained to the Television Critics Association.

A Reinvention Of The Academy Awards

It marks a radical reinvention in the awards show’s long history and is the first time in nearly three decades that they plan to go without a host for Hollywood’s biggest night in film.

One of Hollywood's worst kept secrets of recvent months, Variety reported, “Producers will select a crop of A-listers to introduce various segments instead of relying on one marquee name to kick things off in a monologue filled with Trump zingers, said the insiders.”

The Kevin Hart Saga

For a while, ideas that Hart would be brought back as host were bounced around and it seemed plausible. But sources swiftly confirmed that the idea of his hosting was “100 per cent dead” as his comments on Good Morning America seemed to confirm.

“I’m not hosting the Oscars this year,” said Hart. When asked if he would host in the future, his response was ambiguous, “It’s hard to predict what can happen.”

Hart would have been welcomed back by the Academy had he apologised for his anti-gay jokes, and he was even given the opportunity to do so in an interview with Ellen DeGeneres. Unfortunately, the interview backfired when Hart was made out to be the victim of internet trolls and “haters” rather than the perpetrator of hateful remarks.

Since then, scathing reactions from LGBTQ groups and others on Twitter and Facebook have made it clear that Hart should not be allowed to return as host and would simply be a distraction from the big event.

With a number of celebrities making it very clear that they didn't want to host the Oscars, it seems going hostless was the only way for the Academy Awards to revive itself, and who knows, perhaps this bold, albeit forced, move might well revitalise the whole thing.

What ever the case, we'll find out on February 25. 


Via GQ Australia

Now Read: The List Of Stars Who Don't Want To Host The Oscars